Saturday, November 24, 2007

The joy of hiking...

I spent the day after thanksgiving hiking 8 miles with my dog and a bunch of family/ friends sans camera.

Larkin and I lead the pack, we stayed pretty far ahead of everyone. Many times I would just look around and think I wish I had my camera... but I was able to listen and see more clearly without it. Inspired by a children's book called "The Listening Walk" belonging to my nephew I have been trying to hear things a bit better. Not just while out in nature but when talking to people on a daily basis, sometimes I feel as if I am a bad listener. So as much as I regret not having a shot of my wonderful dog full of the joy of being out in the woods, I am happy I was able to pay attention to my ears and hear the sounds surrounding us.

While looking down walking back to the house I found a beatuiful smokey quartz in the shape of a heart, and the lower jaw of a long dead fox. I would have missed these two treasures had I had my camera with me, I would have been looking up, looking for photos, instead of listening to the sounds of my feet on the earth and seeing what was just under my feet, and instead I was able to bring home two very real pieces of evidence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home